Friday, July 19, 2013

CLL is evil


CLL is evil.  Mom came home from work last night looking completely exhausted.  Her eyes were sunken into dark sockets and she spoke in a whisper.  Dad made her drink some water with electrolytes to rehydrate her.  The chemo medicine makes her kidneys work really hard as it clears her blood which takes alot of fluid out of her system.  It also puts her at risk for kidney stones if she doesn't drink enough fluids to keep her kidneys functioning normally.

I decided the way to help was to rearrange all of the family room furniture by rubbing my jowls and wriggling on my back.  Even though the room was a complete wreck when I was done, it made Mom smile.  That is what she needed.  I was glad I helped her.

Then she ate her dinner too!  Dad made hamburgers which he almost never makes at home because they aren't the healthiest for humans although us dogs love them like candy.  Dad thought she might eat if he tempted her with something she really likes and is chock full of calories and iron.  It worked.  She at a cheese burger with onions, fresh tomatoes from our garden, mayo, mustard on a toasted potato bun.  After she ate she really perked up and was happy watching the Tour de France with Dad.  When Dad did the dishes he gave Lou and me each a hunk of the cheddar cheese that had melted onto the serving platter.  Yum.  I hope Dad makes hamburgers again real soon.

She went to bed a bit early, which was okay because she needs her rest to fight the cancer.  When she got up this morning she was complaining about cramps in her calf muscles and asked Dad to make her a strawberry smoothie because it has bananas in it.  She also commented that she feels better today.  Dad was really happy that Mom was feeling like she needed food.  He made the smoothie with two bananas, fresh strawberries, sheep's milk yogurt, whole cow's milk, ice and some honey to sweeten it and add calories.  Mom said it tasted good as she tipped out the door to work this morning.

I will do all I can to fight the evil CLL to keep Mom safe.  Lou and I have been doing alot of barking this morning to let that CLL know we are on the job.  This weekend we will all be home as a family and I'm going to make sure it is as safe and as comfortable as possible so Mom gets the rest she so desperately needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment