Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Close friends too

Mom and Dad had a big party on Saturday so Mom could connect with her friends before she starts treatment.  Guess she can't see people as much once they give her the medicine.  That would suck for a dog 'cause we love to be with other dogs and we love seeing friends all the time.  Especially when they give us treats.
She only told a few close friends that the cancer has progressed to stage 4 which will require treatment starting July 15th.  Turns out one of her friends of more than 20 years also has CLL and will be starting treatment soon.  Her disease is different than Mom's.  Her platelets are around 10,000 which is extremely dangerous.  Mom's are around 100,000 which is too low but still manageable.  Mom's friend is on steroids to improve her blood chemistry.  Taking steroids means she can now either play major league baseball as a hitter or ride the Tour de France once she is through treatment 'cause steroids are lunch in those jobs and they pay really well.
Another friend will also be starting treatment next week for cancer of the scrotum.  I don't have my balls anymore since I am a "domesticated" dog, but I still have my scrotum which I lick at least twice a day because I can (apologies for such and old joke).  Cancer there would be the worst for a boy.  I wish him the best.
Out of 35 people who came to our party, 3 will be undergoing cancer treatment starting this month.  That seems like a lot.  Guess it is because they are getting older and stuff breaks when it gets older?

No comments:

Post a Comment